[Qgis-developer] Proposed plan to fix issue with concurrent opening of OGR datasources (aka QGIS and MapInfo)

Matthias Kuhn matthias at opengis.ch
Tue Mar 22 02:48:39 PDT 2016

Hi Even,

On 03/22/2016 10:31 AM, Even Rouault wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm considering addressing an issue that mainly involves concurrent use of a
> MapInfo TAB dataset by QGIS and MapInfo, as described in
> https://hub.qgis.org/issues/14378, although the planned fix would be a bit more
> general.
>
> The problem is that when QGIS opens a OGR datasource it tries to open it with
> the update mode of the OGROpen() API, which in turn opens the underlying
> file(s) with a mode (dwDesiredAccess = GENERIC_READ | GENERIC_WRITE and
> dwShareMode =
> FILE_SHARE_READ | FILE_SHARE_WRITE with the Windows CreateFile API()) that is
> incompatible with the mode with which MapInfo tries to open files in read-only
> (dwDesiredAccess = GENERIC_READ and dwShareMode =
> FILE_SHARE_READ). Hence MapInfo cannot open a MapInfo dataset already opened
> by QGIS in update mode.
>
> The solution I'm considering would be to modify the QGIS OGR provider to :
> - try to open the dataset in update mode as currently, but if it is
> successful, go back to re-opening it in read-only mode. (we need to try to
> open in update mode so as to have appropriate capabilities)
> - for operations like addFeatures(), addAttributes(), etc ... that need update
> permissions, check the current open mode, and if not update mode already, re-
> open the OGR datasource in update mode
> need a new method in the QgsVectorDataProvider API to warn about that, since
> the provider has currently no way of knowing that)

I think the postgres provider already has a similar concept for
connection pooling. For read-only operations, a shared r/o connection
from the connection pool is obtained. When writing is required, a new
"transaction" connection with write capabilities is opened for the
duration of the r/w session. Maybe this concept can be mirrored by the
ogr provider?

> There would be of course a cost to pay due to this open / close operations, so
> I think I would limit it to shapefiles and mapinfo for now, since the opening
> of such datasets doesn't involve a lot of I/O ( the most costly is for
> shapefiles where the whole .shx is ingested into memory ).
>
> Another related fix would be to implement reloadData() in the OGR provider so
> that the user can resynchronize its QGIS session for a dataset modified by
> another software.

Concerning the reloadData() method, there is already a forceReload()
method which reloads a changed dataset (on request) in QGIS. Is your
plan to implement a "change detection" and trigger this action
automatically?

It's good to see somebody as experienced as you with ogr taking care of
these issues.

Matthias

--
Matthias Kuhn