[Qgis-developer] Diagrams and labels

Nyall Dawson nyall.dawson at gmail.com
Fri Mar 25 22:42:06 PDT 2016

On 22 Mar 2016 2:39 AM, <paul.blottiere at oslandia.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm going to work soon on adding some tools for diagrams. The aim is to
provide features in a specific toolbar such as those in "Label Toolbar",
but for diagrams.

Just wondering - why a separate toolbar rather than extending the existing
labeling tools to be fully compatible with diagrams?

Our interface is already very cluttered with toolbars, I'm not sure another
new one which basically duplicates an existing one is a good idea.

Nyall

> Before doing that, in order to ensure that I implement the same type of
thinking, I studied the behavior of the existing features for labels (like
"Highlight Pinned labels", "Pin/Unpin Labels", "Move Label" and "Rotate
Label"). By now, I have a couple of questions.

> Firstly, I have noticed that a label can be moved even if it's
"unpinned". If I do that, then the label is automatically "pinned" at the
end of its move. However, the behavior is different for the rotation.
Indeed, a label has to be "pinned" to be rotated. Why is there a difference
between the "move" action and the "rotate" action?

> Secondly, I have noticed that when we "unpin" a label previously moved,
it backs to its initial position. But, the rotation is kept. I thought that
when a label is "unpinned", then it backs to its starting position AND its
original rotation (ie no rotation). Could you clarify this for me?