[Qgis-developer] Qt5 and Python 3

Sebastiaan Couwenberg sebastic at xs4all.nl
Wed May 4 10:21:05 PDT 2016

On 05/04/2016 06:17 PM, Matthias Kuhn wrote:
> On 04/05/16 18:09, Matthias Kuhn wrote:
>> In the case of OSX a combination of Qt5/PyQt4/Py2 may also make sense
>> because I think there are Qt4 compatibility issues with OSX which this
>> combination may overcome while still offering support for the current
>> plugin ecosystem.
>
> And I just realized that this combination may also be a possibility for
> you, Bas.

This is close to the current qt5 branch [0] for the Debian package, it
uses Qt5/PyQt5/Python2. But because QGIS server is mostly non-functional
with Qt5 in 2.14 it's still just a testing branch.

[0] https://anonscm.debian.org/cgit/pkg-grass/qgis.git/log/?h=qt5

> Or another approach would be to compile with -DWITH_QT_WEBKIT=OFF to
> continue shipping Qt4 based builds. That would leave most plugins usable
> but at the expense of limitations in other parts of the application
> (most notable HTML based functionality in annotations and composer).
> Just for the sake of completeness of the available possibilities.

The initial switch to Qt5 will be painful for users no matter what,
simply because the full Qt5 support is very late to arrive in QGIS.

I'm not sure if not shipping qgis in stretch is preferable over a Qt5
build which doesn't support most plugins.

Newer LTRs will be provided via backports, so eventually a fully
functional QGIS will be available to stable users.

Kind Regards,

Bas

--
 GPG Key ID: 4096R/6750F10AE88D4AF1