[Qgis-developer] [plugins] python 3 support

Denis Rouzaud denis.rouzaud at gmail.com
Mon May 9 01:51:47 PDT 2016

Dear all,

I am raising this again....

Now that we can build QGIS with Qt5, Python 3, PyQt5, an open question
remains: how do plugins will handle with this?
Starting a QGIS built with PyQt5 using enabled plugins will probably
report a lot of Python crashes.

Right now, there is an option to port plugins when building QGIS.
This solution is fine at the moment although it requires a rebuild every
time you install a new plugin.

But later on, whenever QGIS 3 arises, it would be perfect to offer a way
to plugins to support both 2.x and 3.x, or not?

I believe plugins should tell if they handle python2/pyqt4 or
python3/pyqt5 or both (probably using qgis.PyQt package).
If we choose this path, it should be included in next QGIS release.
I started a PR on this topic [0] but it only propose to the plugin to
say if they support Python3/PyQt5 and assumes that it can support only
one. This would need to be updated so plugins could support both.

What do you think?
Should we stick to the port-plugins and offer nothing else?

Cheers,

Denis

[0] https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/pull/2911