[Qgis-developer] editing expressions defining virtual fields seems erratic

Janneke van Dijk janneke.qgis at gmail.com
Mon May 16 04:24:40 PDT 2016

Dear list,

In a polygon shapefile I'm seeing inconstistent behaviour in virtual
fields. The attached project and shapefile has reduced it to it's
simplest form: the shapefile contains two virtual fields, the first one
containing the expression 1 (integer) and the second the expression 2
(integer). However, when I want to edit the expression for the fields,
the first field does not give a problem. For the second field I click on
the 'expression' to open the expression builder, but the expression
shown in the expression builder equals 1. I have not been able to find
any pattern in when it happens/for what type of expressions. This
example is the most simple form of the unexpected behaviour, but I have
seen it with more complicated expressions as well. Sometimes after
trying to edit one of these 'erratic' expressions QGIS closes with a
minidump being written error message. Again, not always.

Anyone have any idea why this might happen and how to work around it?

Looking forward to some thoughts...
Janneke