[Qgis-developer] GDAL 2.X support in MacOSX

Larry Shaffer larrys at dakotacarto.com
Mon May 23 03:42:10 PDT 2016

Hi Jeremy,

On Mon, May 23, 2016 at 2:34 AM, Jeremy Palmer <JPalmer at linz.govt.nz> wrote:

> > FYI, QGIS from homebrew already ships with GDAL 2.
> >
> > https://github.com/OSGeo/homebrew-osgeo4mac
> >

> But that’s not what the MacOSX offical (
> http://www.kyngchaos.com/software/qgis) or nightly snapshot (
> http://qgis.dakotacarto.com/) use.

Correct, though I manage both the nightly build and OSGeo4Mac. However,
pretty soon, like shortly after the upcoming QGIS hackfest in Girona, the
nightly build will drastically change to multiple versions that not only
support GDAL/OGR v2, but also variants of Qt 4/5 and Python 2/3, and all
based upon Homebrew formulae (specifically those currently in OSGeo4Mac).

This is to aid migration of core code and third-party plugins to QGIS 3.0.

Of note, the OSGeo4Mac project will also be morphing into an installer
project, while its Homebrew formulae are migrated to the new Homebrew
Geospatial tap (repo) [0]. This will allow for using Homebrew Geospatial as
the basis for creating an new type of package installer for Mac. Whether it
becomes an 'official' QGIS package remains to be seen. First it needs to
become stable.

[0] https://github.com/orgs/Homebrew/teams/geospatial

Regards,

Larry Shaffer