[Qgis-developer] Plugin licence

Vincent Picavet (ml) vincent.ml at oslandia.com
Wed May 25 02:07:08 PDT 2016

Hello,

On 25/05/2016 10:41, Tom Chadwin wrote:
> Of course, since qgis2web is middleware, its licence also has to be
> compatible with Leaflet, Openlayers 3, and their respective plugins, none of
> which are GPL. Since the plugin bundles and distributes these libraries, I
> would say complying with their licences is of greater importance than
> complying with QGIS, which is not distributed with the plugin.
>
> Not trying to start an argument - I just want to do the right thing by the
> creators of all the software on which mine is built.

I may be wrong, but if qgis2web is like qgis2three, it generates
projects containing OL3 or leaflet code ?
In this case, there is no code link between the Python plugin and
Leaflet nor OL3, and therefore no compatibility problem. You can keep
the original licences for these libraries and their respective plugins.

But the Python code for your plugin has to be GPLv2 as soon as you do an
"import qgis.core" and you distribute the plugin.

Furthermore, since OL3 and LeafLet are BSD-licenced, there actually is
no issue since this licence is compatible with GPL. You can link GPL
code to MIT or BSD without problem.

Vincent