[Qgis-developer] Plugin licence

Tom Chadwin tom.chadwin at nnpa.org.uk
Wed May 25 02:42:38 PDT 2016

Vincent Picavet (ml) wrote
> I may be wrong, but if qgis2web is like qgis2three, it generates
> projects containing OL3 or leaflet code ?
> In this case, there is no code link between the Python plugin and
> Leaflet nor OL3

Yes, this is how it works. However, the code it generates *does* link to the
other libraries in code. I think it would therefore be egregious to say no
link exists between the Python code and the third-party JS libraries. Also,
as I say, qgis2web redistributes those other libraries.

I appreciate that, as you say, the other libs are largely licensed more
permissively, and compatibly with QGIS - MIT/two-clause BSD.

I guess I am just sceptical that GPL's requirement for GPL licensing of a
product, purely by virtue of importing the first product as a library, is
likely to hold much legal weight.

Anyway, to clarify, the advice is that GPLv2+ is the only acceptable licence
- not even v3+?

Thanks for your patience and opinions

Tom