[Qgis-developer] Plugin licence

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Wed May 25 03:51:37 PDT 2016

> - a more reasonable use case would be a plugin that would be compatible of
> QGIS and another proprietary GIS through some abstraction layer of their
> different APIs. The core of your plugin could then be permissively licensed
> to be compatible of both licensing models.

Actually this point is quite interesting since for example NVidia claims that
their proprietary code for their video drivers is not a derived work of the
Linux kernel since it is used in the drivers of other OS. So only the
adaptation layer between their generic driver and the Linux kernel is GPL.
This is of course a much disputable point of view, but nobody has cared enough
to challenge NVidia in front of a court. What it shows is that the concept of
what is a derived work or not can be somewhat fuzzy.

http://www.spatialys.com