[Qgis-developer] Plugins: "standalone" versus more tightly integrated

Matthias Kuhn matthias at opengis.ch
Mon Nov 14 03:52:23 PST 2016

Hi Tom,

Offering the possibility for this sounds good to me. I have already
added an API to register custom pages on the vector layer properties
page and will be happy to see more such functionality.

https://www.qgis.org/en/site/forusers/visualchangelog216/index.html#feature-api-add-pages-to-vector-layer-properties

Are you talking about qgis2web in particular or more generally?

I think most of the cons can be neglected because the whole process is
opt-in. If someone wants he can still use a simple single dialog. Or
create the integrated option windows while keeping a simple "setup
wizard" around for people to get started with.

At the same time, the risk of "cluttering" the UI is present. But there
are already now a ton of possibilities to decrease UX from plugins.
That's the cost of giving power to plugin developers, "with great power
comes great responsibility" ;)

Cheers
Matthias