[Qgis-developer] Changing ergonomy of the visibility of layers inside groups ?

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Wed Nov 16 04:00:45 PST 2016

> I think this would be a good improvement to the usability of the legend
> groups.
>
> Does it make sense to add a right-click action to maintain the possibility
> of hierarchical/recursive selection of the group items?

Yes, users might not necessarily be aware of the Ctrl+click shortcut. For the
contextual menu, I can imagine different variations:
- one item whose label&action would change according to the context. For
example if the child groups and layers have different check state, or all
unchecked, then it would be "Check all subgroups and layers". And if they are
all checked, it would be "Uncheck all subgroups and layers". Downside is that
you need to do it twice to go from the state where subitems have different
check state to the state where they are all unchecked. But that would be
consistent with the behaviour of the Ctrl+click action.
- have the 2 items "Check all subgroups and layers" and "Uncheck all subgroups
and layers" always displayed (but potentially greyed if not available given
the state of the subitems)
- or variation of the above, show 0, 1 or 2 of the items according to the
context (0 for a group no subgroup/layer, 1 if all subitems are checked/
unchecked, 2 if there are different check state) ==> This one is probably the
best one as it seems our contextual menus are rather dynamic according to the