[Qgis-developer] Any UI/UX plans for QGIS3?

Nyall Dawson nyall.dawson at gmail.com
Fri Nov 25 14:45:40 PST 2016

On 26 November 2016 at 08:09, Nyall Dawson <nyall.dawson at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 25 November 2016 at 21:22, Alexandre Neto <senhor.neto at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hello all,
>>
>> QGIS 3 is getting lots of love, and we are seeing new features being added,
>> some legacy code being clean up, and so on. We are all aware that this will
>> break the 2.x API, but now it's the time for it.
>>
>> So I wondered if this is not the perfect time to think about some UI/UX
>> changes as well, as it will lead to more work in translation and
>> Documentation. Could we do a list of UI/UX stuff that we could improve?
>>
>> I can think of a few things:
>>
>> Consistency
>>  - "search", "select" and "browse" for browsing files;
>> - "Add saved file to map", "Load into canvas when finished", "Open output
>> file after running algorithm";
>> - there is more of these for sure;
>
> I love it!
>
> Stuff like this is a great jumping in point where anyone can get
> involved. It's just a matter of trawling through all the dialogs and
> collating a list of strings which need changing. If that was done then
> someone with commit rights could fix these in a couple of minutes. The
> hard bit (and the bit where ANYONE can help) is making the list in the
> first place.
>
> Some more suggestions (which again, anyone could help with identifying):
>
> - replacing "non standard" icons. We still have some inconsitently
> used icons (such as the expression builder icon) used throughout qgis.
> - dialogs which violate hig conventions:
>     - use of ":" at the end of strings
>     - bad tab order
>     - group boxes with just one widget
> - bad/inconsistent capitalisation in strings, dialog titles, and tooltips
> - widgets without tooltips (or non helpful tooltips)

Another one I forgot to add (a bit unrelated):

- lots of the processing algorithms don't correctly handle z/m
geometries and the changes are often trivial to allow them to. I'd
love to see someone generate a list (based off master) of all the
algorithms which currently don't maintain z and m values and which
should.

Nyall