[Qgis-developer] Any UI/UX plans for QGIS3?

Tim Sutton tim at kartoza.com
Fri Nov 25 21:02:50 PST 2016

Hi

> Another one I forgot to add (a bit unrelated):
>
> - lots of the processing algorithms don't correctly handle z/m
> geometries and the changes are often trivial to allow them to. I'd
> love to see someone generate a list (based off master) of all the
> algorithms which currently don't maintain z and m values and which
> should.

And another big one would be to make QGIS expressions the standard way for entering expressions (thinking about raster calculator and layer filter expression dialog for example). Maybe the expression dialog should have a 'SQL' and "QGIS' mode so that it can use the same UI but constrain expressions to valid SQL if the recipient of the expression requires valid SQL.

Regards

Tim

> Nyall
>

>> These are also issues for plugins, so collating lists and opening bugs
>> against plugins would also help.
>>

>>> Help and Documentation
>>> - Most of our help buttons lead to nowhere, we already talked about pointing
>>> them to the User's Manual online (although we would need a solution for
>>> working with it offline and in different languages)
>>>
>>> Defaults
>>> - Should default selection color not be opaque?
>>> - Showing only selected features vertexes by default?
>> +1
>>
>>> - Map template, we could provide a very simple template as default (I think
>>> there was already some discussion about this); Most people I see gets very
>>> confused when they see a completely empty page.
>>
>> Depends how it's done. I don't think it should always open with a
>> template, but including some nice templates with qgis would be a good
>> start.
>>

>> Another idea I'd love to see for 3.0 is switching the main ui to using
>> monochrome "symbolic" icons. I think this could really refresh the
>> interface and avoid the ui from taking attention away for the content
>> (ie, the pretty map you're making). I tried making a script to auto
>> convert the icons as a test.... and ended up with a horrendous result
>> which had to be burned in a furnace and scattered on the four winds.
>>
>> Nyall
>>

>>> Alexandre Neto
>>> --
>>> Alexandre Neto