[Qgis-developer] Reporting an issue at http://hub.qgis.org/

Bernd Vogelgesang bernd.vogelgesang at gmx.de
Sun Nov 27 03:33:01 PST 2016

Hi,

Am 27.11.2016, 11:50 Uhr, schrieb Richard Duivenvoorde
<rdmailings at duif.net>:

> On 27-11-16 09:01, Lene Fischer wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I want to report issues at http://hub.qgis.org/ - but I have forgot my
>> username/password.
>>
>> So now I´m in a catch22 – There is no way to get a new password – I
>> can´t find a way to create a new login –
>>
>> Do we want users to report issues – yes/no ?
>>
>> If yes – it must be much easier to access a platform. Right now it is
>> only for hardcore users who are really good at remembering passwords….
>
> Hi Lene,
>
> Short story: see below to reset your password:
> https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Osgeo_Userid_Help
>
> Long story: we use osgeo-user id's (and ldap for it) because then you do
> not need to remember even more passwords :-)
> We could have easier QGIS password infrastructure but in my view we
> shouldn't want this: it is better if we unite as geoFOSS community in
> both infrastructure and use of standards.

I understand that it is very efficient and clever to use an existing
infrastructure. But this infrastructure is set up in a typical "nerdish"
way, so we have quite some barriers for non-nerds.

> Besides this, you need some determination to create an issue anyway as
> it is best if the issuer keeps monitoring the issue and reacts on
> questions from devs...

There is really the danger that the issues are misused as a helpdesk by
users for minor stuff if it is better accessible.
But when you do not use the issues regularly, it is hard and time
consuming filing a new one. The search for already existing issues is not
easy. Obviously the default settings when filing a issue is, that you do
NOT get a message when someone replies on the issue, which makes the tool
quite useless for the lots of people who naturally expect to be subscribed
to the thread automatically.

I rarely file bugs, though I now subscribed to all issues to at least have
a chance to get an overview. There is huge discrepancy between what I can
read in the mailing lists and in the reported issues. So e.g. I was really
surprised by Giovannis yesterdays issues about regressions of OGR in the
toolbox for LTR but haven't read anything about this somewhere before.
People already seem to accept that things are broken and silently search
for alternatives and workarounds.

As long as the developers are happy with the tools, I don't care, but
assistance from ordinary users in some form is not so likely as well.

  > Let me know if you have a problem resetting your password (though I
> cannot reset it for you either...), then we figure out another way to
> issue your problem.
>
> Regards,
>
> Richard Duivenvoorde

Cheers