[Qgis-developer] Reporting an issue at http://hub.qgis.org/

Matthias Kuhn matthias at opengis.ch
Mon Nov 28 03:17:25 PST 2016

Hi

I really like the idea of having an osgeo infrastructure that is built
on top of an open source stack and gives a user a single login on all
infrastructure.

The problem seems to be, that it's just very few people taking care of
it and this situation makes it very hard to maintain a good
infrastructure. I would really appreciate if UX received more attention
also in this context (I actually think it's really important that it does).

This discussion fits with my experience so far, it seems to be quite
complicated to get up and running with the current system.

Personally I would not mind moving to a different provider if it makes
maintenance easier and improves UX.

Of course, keeping it hard to sign up reduces the amount of reported
issues. The question is if it's actually a good filter that reduces
noise. I have the feeling that we should rather encourage users to write
better reports by providing them with the required information at the
time they are writing the bug. See e.g. how we do for QField [1] with a
template and a link to the guidelines on top.

Thanks for all the good comments in this dicussion!
Matthias

[1] https://github.com/opengisch/QField/issues/new