[Qgis-developer] Reporting an issue at http://hub.qgis.org/

Richard Duivenvoorde rdmailings at duif.net
Mon Nov 28 02:57:11 PST 2016

On 2016-11-28 01:31, Nyall Dawson wrote:

> End result - no report filed, I can't remember what his suggestion
> was, he's left thinking open-source is complex and not beginner
> friendly, and I'm left embarrassed because I can't even help him file
> a ticket (let alone get it fixed!).
>
> I realise that the current setup was done by hard working volunteers,
> and I applaud their efforts, but the sad truth is that it's just not
> working anymore and we need a better solution. :(

Hi Nyall,

Myself I'm not so much against moving to GH issues to be honest,
although I'm scared of the number of issues already coming in and our
(in my view aparent) inability to handle those...

My fear (and some experience) is that the average 'user' is very eager
to let us know his/her problem, but is not very eager to do any follow
up work: he/she just want's it fixed. Which is good and valid, but I'm
not sure if it fit's in our current infrastructure. Maybe I'm too
cynical but handling hundreds of half-baken/nontech issues is where you
leave fun/volunteer work and make it paid/not-so-fun work. But maybe I'm
plain wrong and we should 'just do it', growing pains will show up
anyway :-)
The vast income of nice features (which is GOOD) also seems to come with
a lot of issues we have to handle problems with super basic GIS stuff
(hanlding shapes/data, OGR problems, simple algorithms like
buffering/dissolve not working correctly etc etc).
We (well... you and other devs already do) should really concentrate a
lot on testing and quality.
Can we make this a (more important) part of QGIS 3 too? Maybe by
cleaning up some smelling code places (looking at the QGIS startup
process here etc etc)...

In short: it is important to keep changing/discussing these things and I
hope the new QGIS-association is able to handle all this in a way both
devs as users stay a happy family.

Regards,

Richard