[Qgis-developer] Any UI/UX plans for QGIS3?

Matthias Kuhn matthias at opengis.ch
Mon Nov 28 05:56:59 PST 2016

Hi Alex

On 11/28/2016 12:59 PM, Alexandre Neto wrote:
> Hi Nyall! Thank you for your reply.
>
> A sex, 25/11/2016, 22:09, Nyall Dawson <nyall.dawson at gmail.com
> <mailto:nyall.dawson at gmail.com>> escreveu:
>

>     I love it!
>
>     Stuff like this is a great jumping in point where anyone can get
>     involved. It's just a matter of trawling through all the dialogs and
>     collating a list of strings which need changing. If that was done then
>     someone with commit rights could fix these in a couple of minutes. The
>     hard bit (and the bit where ANYONE can help) is making the list in the
>     first place.
>

> I will gladly work on that list, but I was hoping that, under the idea
> of "give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; teach a man to fish
> and you feed him for a lifetime", with a gentle push from a developer, I
> could directly fix some of the problems.

Pick your choice, try using Qt Designer and a text editor and full text
search to fix whatever you want. If you run into walls, ping me (or
someone else) here or on gitter. I'll be happy to provide you with trawl
nets if possible ;)

>     > - Map template, we could provide a very simple template as default
>     (I think
>     > there was already some discussion about this); Most people I see
>     gets very
>     > confused when they see a completely empty page.
>
>     Depends how it's done. I don't think it should always open with a
>     template, but including some nice templates with qgis would be a good
>     start.
>

> We could have a few options when creating a new print composition
> keeping an "empty" option on the top.
> - Empty ()
> - A4 landscape
> - A4 portrait
> - plus list of recent user's templates

Nice idea!

>     Another idea I'd love to see for 3.0 is switching the main ui to using
>     monochrome "symbolic" icons. I think this could really refresh the
>     interface and avoid the ui from taking attention away for the content
>     (ie, the pretty map you're making). I tried making a script to auto
>     convert the icons as a test.... and ended up with a horrendous result
>     which had to be burned in a furnace and scattered on the four winds.
>

> It would be nice if we could get some graphic designer to make them
> distinctive enough.

Any chance to ask your employer to jump in here? IIRC they also helped
with someone for the website redesign. And after the shiny charts in a
blog post from last week this could be a nice move to live up a bit
closer to the contribution share which this post pretended they hold in
QGIS ;P

Matthias