[Qgis-developer] New color ramp widget: suggestions

Nyall Dawson nyall.dawson at gmail.com
Wed Nov 30 02:18:55 PST 2016

On 30 November 2016 at 20:07, Paolo Cavallini <cavallini at faunalia.it> wrote:
> Il 30/11/2016 11:00, Anita Graser ha scritto:
>
>>     -1 to this ... most of those cpt city gradients are pretty darn ugly
>>     or unsuitable for mapping in my opinion!
>>

>> Many of the prettier ones (e.g.
>> http://soliton.vm.bytemark.co.uk/pub/cpt-city/wkp/template/tn/wiki-2.0.png.index.html) are
>> also very difficult to use because we have no way to specify where the
>> border between blue = under sea level and green = above sea level is in
>> our raster values.
>
> agreed many are unsuitable, but others are really precious: I spend
> hours to design the CORINE one, years ago, and in Europe this is a must.
> NDVI is also tricky. Perhaps we could divide them in two sections, or
> simply include all the useful ones in the default?
> Anita: agreed some are very difficult to use - ideas for improvement?
> Thanks for the comments, I think we are greatly improving usability here.
> All the best.

Ok - I was a bit harsh here. I think the problem is that the good ones
are buried in ones which are totally useless. I'm referring to the
ramps like the different country flags, multiple variations on black
and white stripes, and things like banded "christmas candy" ramps.
Maybe we should curate a list of good ones and only show those at
first, rather then the "all ramps" category.

Nyall