[Qgis-developer] QGIS D3 DataVis Plugin Status Report

matteo matteo.ghetta at gmail.com
Mon Oct 3 02:34:36 PDT 2016

Hi Calvin,

I had some time to deepen in the list of D3 libraries you have listen:

>    1. *d3pie* (http://d3pie.org/) - This is a very attractive pie chart and
>    I like it, but it has only 7 contributors on GitHub and seems to be
>    stagnant.

if I understand it well, this allows just the pie plottin

>    2. *D3Plus* (http://d3plus.org/) - Has a number of reusable components -
>    19 contributors on GitHub.

seems very very good.. do you need to understand some external
component? I did not (but maybe I have them already installed) and I was
able to save a custom html interactive plot

>    3. *NVD3* (http://nvd3.org/) - Lots of reusable components - 200
>    contributors on GitHub.

I like it too..

>    4. *C3* (http://c3js.org/) - Also a number of components - 88
>    contributors, but there haven't been any updates for over a year.

seems less customizable than the others..

IMHO what I plot plugin like that one we are trying to understand how to
build should have some mandatory capabilities:

1. callback from plot to QGIS map canvas. So clicking on the
point/bar/boxplot should give a signal that can be used to
select/zooming/whatever in QGIS

2. plots should be callable from Processing

3. it could be really good to be able to embed plots in the print
composer too

I don't know if all these is possible, but maybe it is worth to try

Cheers

Matteo