[Qgis-developer] Stepping back from the PSC

Tim Sutton tim at kartoza.com
Tue Oct 4 15:26:05 PDT 2016

Hi

> On 04 Oct 2016, at 3:51 PM, Marco Hugentobler <marco.hugentobler at sourcepole.ch> wrote:
>
> Dear QGIS devs
>
> After being 10 years in the QGIS PSC, I'd like to step back from my position as a technical advisor. I feel that I don't have the necessary time any more, so I would like to use the time I have for technical things rather than organizational aspects of the project. Of course I'm continuing to be a member of the developer team, so we'll stay in contact anyway.
>
> As discussed with Tim and in yesterdays PSC meeting, the project organisation will be changed, possibly to move the former PSC roles over to technical workgroup leads. Therefore we are not going to renew outgoing PSC positions.
>
> Finally I'd like to thank the other PSC members for the good collaboration and the amazing work during all that time.

On behalf of the PSC I really want to 'thank you' for all that you have done to help with steering the project over the years. Many people probably don't realize how much behind the scenes stuff goes on within the PSC and what a big time commitment it can constitute. Needless to say that I can fully empathize with a desire to spend your available time focussed on technical work. I look forward to your continued input into the runnings of the project, even if you are not a PSC member any more. Please know that you (like anyone else) are always welcome to sit in on our PSC meetings should you have any special topics you wish to raise with the PSC.

As Marco mentioned above, we have discussed what will happen when Marco leaves and at this stage we are not going to replace his position on the PSC. We will soon be sharing the proposed updates to the QGIS Board Statutes, which includes in it provisions for more regular recruitment and replacement of PSC members via annual elections (similar to how OSGEO Board staffing is managed). Our intent is also to keep the PSC operating at this reduced size to make decision making more fluid. We plan to rely more heavily on technical working groups (with autonomy to make decisions in their field of influence). In Bonn we already set up the first two technical working groups with Yves Jacolin heading up the documentation team (Otto Dassau has also stepped down from the PSC) and Lene Fischer heading up the community events team (tasked with ensuring that regular QGIS community events happen). I expect that we will establish a 'Technical Team' with Marco's departure who will take care of the system architecture related decisions. Technical team leads will typically be by appointment from the PSC since the leaders will typically need to have special skills or experience and also be able to provide a fairly long term commitment to the task in order to keep things running smoothly. We hope that with this approach, the role of the PSC is more confined to financial management and governance for the project, and the important decisions you need to have made  within the community can be made by those most qualified to make them. I have been working on a diagram that explains the vision here (note it is a draft, open to comment):

https://cloud.githubusercontent.com/assets/178003/19094738/026c5a50-8a92-11e6-8e83-97dbc30fe6df.png

My very best regards to you Marco!

Tim

> Best regards,
> Marco
>
> --
> Dr. Marco Hugentobler
> Sourcepole -  Linux & Open Source Solutions
> Weberstrasse 5, CH-8004 Zürich, Switzerland
> marco.hugentobler at sourcepole.ch http://www.sourcepole.ch

—

Tim Sutton

Co-founder: Kartoza