[Qgis-developer] QgsField::length semantic

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Tue Oct 11 03:11:06 PDT 2016

> According to this:
> http://devzone.advantagedatabase.com/dz/webhelp/advantage9.0/server1/dbf_fi
> eld_types_and_specifications.htm
>
> A DBF field with extended data type "double" does not affect the
> precision of the stored data, and the length information is simply
> ignored.

I had never seen such "double" type in use in .dbf, and it is certainly not
handled by shapelib/OGR, and I have never seen reports that other shapefile
producing software generate such field types. Might be a "Visual FoxPro"
specific thing.

> After all, a "Double" in a DBF is just 8 bytes anyway, so why bother
> attempting to go beyond that ? Qgis is storing values in a Double too,
> and the only reason I see to support "numeric" is storing arbitrary
> precision values, which don't seem to be supported by OGR:
> http://www.gdal.org/ogr__core_8h.html#a787194bea637faf12d61643124a7c9fc

True, OGR ends up storing numeric fields as C double. The width/precision is
mostly informative (and occasionnaly indeed an annoyance when backends start
using it...)

http://www.spatialys.com