[Qgis-developer] Plans after friday's release?

Neumann, Andreas a.neumann at carto.net
Thu Oct 20 00:56:51 PDT 2016

Hi,

> I am in favor of shooting down any 2.20 plans and fully focus on 3.0 to
> reduce the backporting overhead and improve dev-time and user-awareness
> towards 3.0.

+1

Looking at the visual changelog of QGIS 2.18 and comparing with the
activity in the 3.x master branch I think the awareness towards 3.0 is
already there - which is good.

The number of new features in 2.18 is considerably lower than e.g. in
2.16 and more and more new feature are in the 3x master branch only.

> We could potentially also allow some non-intrusive features to land in
> there (some plans regarding this already exist).

+1 again.

-----------------------

I'd also like to revisit the discussion about ending 2.x with an LT
version.

It just seems illogical to me, to not end 2.x with an LT version. It is
kind of a waste of resources if we continue to backport stuff to 2.14
only and loose out on the many useful new features that were introduced
in 2.16 and 2.18. Think about all the nice things, like multi-attribute
search, multi-attribute editing, forms/widget improvements, and many
more - that won't reach the masses, because they are not in an LT
release for at least another year!

Let's be more flexible and allow ourself to break the strict rule that
an LT version can only appear once a year, every third release. Rules
are here to break where useful/necessary.

Just my opinion.

Andreas