[Qgis-developer] Building and debugging QGIS on Windows x64

Frits van Veen fritsvanveen at ziggo.nl
Thu Oct 20 04:37:14 PDT 2016

Hi Casper

>> But I would like to move on to a place where downloading the QGIS source
code, downloading and installing a few software packages, and at last follow
a simple guide, would make it possible for any one build and debug QGIS.

Well, the file INSTALL is a start, but should be enhanced with our
experiences. It depends on QSGeo4W to install packages and that works quite
well. However, OSGeo4W does not have packages for the QGIS master build
(QGIS 2.99), where Qt5 and Python3 are mandatory. So OSGeo4W should be
updated. Jürgen is the maintainer of both pkg-qgis, pkg-qt4-libs and
pkg-pyqt4, so he might be willing to do that.

I learned to be very careful where to set environment variables (the least
global as possible), specially now I have both versions of Qt and Python, so
that needs to be documented also.

It would save other developers a lot of effort, if such documentation would
be available.

Frits