[Qgis-developer] About project.qgs file versions

Geo DrinX geodrinx at gmail.com
Tue Oct 25 04:00:17 PDT 2016

> Hi,

>> On 25 Oct 2016 7:37 PM, "Geo DrinX" <geodrinx at gmail.com> wrote:
>> >
>> > Good morning,
>> >

>> > we have seen that the new QGIS 2.18  reports a warning when opens a
>> .qgs  project file,
>> > reporting that it is an old version, and saving again, it could be
>> incompatible with old versions of QGIS.
>> >
>> > We  are asking what is the reason for this.  Could you explain us ?
>>
>> There's no backward compatibility in qgs files. If you upgrade them then
>> they won't necessarily be the same in earlier versions. Sometimes they
>> won't be openable at all in earlier versions. Hence the warning.
>>
>> This is not a new feature. It has always been the case when you open a
> project with a newer qgis version.

Oh yes, it's true !    You are right.   I tested.     :(

So I am asking: what is the reason why we did this  ?

What you call "feature" is a problem for all those who need to share data
with users who have an older version of QGIS, for one reason or another.

I am wrong ?   What do you think ?

Regards
Geo