[Qgis-developer] About project.qgs file versions

Matthias Kuhn matthias at opengis.ch
Tue Oct 25 04:56:12 PDT 2016

Hi

> Oh yes, it's true !    You are right.   I tested.     :(
>
> So I am asking: what is the reason why we did this  ?
>
> What you call "feature" is a problem for all those who need to share
> data with users who have an older version of QGIS, for one reason or
> another.
>
> I am wrong ?   What do you think ?
>
> Regards
> Geo

Nothing has been explicitly done to prevent it.

The "feature" is a warning which you can interpret as "It might or might
not work in your scenario. Before you rely on backporting projects in
production scenarios, test it carefully.".
Or test one version and stick to that within a project which is the
safest choice.

Changing this behavior would be a considerable additional amount of work
and slow down development of new features (and there would still be no
guarantee).

Regards
Matthias