[Qgis-developer] FOSS4G code sprint idea: improving SLD export and GeoServer compatibility

Alessandro Pasotti apasotti at gmail.com
Thu Sep 1 22:18:43 PDT 2016

Hi Andrea,

Thanks for the amazing work, it's nice to see GS and QGIS compatibility
improved!

On 28 Jun 2016 7:42 p.m., "Andrea Aime" <andrea.aime at geo-solutions.it>
wrote:

Hi,
at FOSS4G Bonn we'll have a bunch of QGis and GeoServer developers
participating at the code sprint, I would like to leverage the co-precence
and propose a "cross-project"
work idea, that is, to improve the chance that a style exported from QGis
can be
successfully imported and rendered in GeoServer.

On one side, I have had reports from GeoServer users showing documents that
were not valid XML (un-balanced tags)
or not schema compliant, like CSSProperty values containing a Filter
instead of an Expression... I don't know
if these issues are still present in the latest version of QGis, as you
imagine users tend to use a large variety of software versions,
some of which pretty old, but I see some open ticket in the QGis tracker
regarding the SLD export, so there might
be some work to do there.

On the other side, GeoServer has a preference for SLD 1.0, and SE 1.1
support definitely needs improvement,
at the same time and it could learn to use some of the QGis own extensions.
For example, the other day I've seen on stackexchange a export with a
"diamond" WellKnownName that is not part
of SE, but which would be trivial to add support for in GeoServer.

There are also other functionalities, like compositing, that are present in
both projects, but not in SE, having a way to export
them would also be good.

So I'd like to see if there is any QGis developer that would like to work
side by side
with me to bring the two projects a little bit closer in this respect.
I'll be at the code sprint after the conference, Saturday and Sunday.
Having someone contributing projects with some complex symbology to test
against would
also be a great way to keep the exercise interesting.

Anyone interested? :-)

Cheers
Andrea

--
==
==

Ing. Andrea Aime
@geowolf
Technical Lead

GeoSolutions S.A.S.
Via di Montramito 3/A
55054  Massarosa (LU)
phone: +39 0584 962313
fax: +39 0584 1660272
mob: +39  339 8844549

http://www.geo-solutions.it
http://twitter.com/geosolutions_it

*AVVERTENZE AI SENSI DEL D.Lgs. 196/2003*

nel/i file/s allegato/i sono da considerarsi strettamente riservate. Il
loro utilizzo è consentito esclusivamente al destinatario del messaggio,
per le finalità indicate nel messaggio stesso. Qualora riceviate questo
messaggio senza esserne il destinatario, Vi preghiamo cortesemente di
darcene notizia via e-mail e di procedere alla distruzione del messaggio
stesso, cancellandolo dal Vostro sistema. Conservare il messaggio stesso,
divulgarlo anche in parte, distribuirlo ad altri soggetti, copiarlo, od
utilizzarlo per finalità diverse, costituisce comportamento contrario ai
principi dettati dal D.Lgs. 196/2003.

The information in this message and/or attachments, is intended solely for
the attention and use of the named addressee(s) and may be confidential or
proprietary in nature or covered by the provisions of privacy act
(Legislative Decree June, 30 2003, no.196 - Italy's New Data Protection
Code).Any use not in accord with its purpose, any disclosure, reproduction,
copying, distribution, or either dissemination, either whole or partial, is
strictly forbidden except previous formal approval of the named
addressee(s). If you are not the intended recipient, please contact
immediately the sender by telephone, fax or e-mail and delete the
information in this message that has been received in error. The sender
does not give any warranty or accept liability as the content, accuracy or
completeness of sent messages and accepts no responsibility  for changes
made after they were sent or for other risks which arise as a result of
e-mail transmission, viruses, etc.