[Qgis-developer] EOL for homebrew qt4 mac builds? Time for Qt5 only master?

Nyall Dawson nyall at north-road.com
Sun Sep 4 23:00:56 PDT 2016

On 5 September 2016 at 15:51, Matthias Kuhn <matthias at opengis.ch> wrote:

> Hi
>
> On 09/05/2016 07:06 AM, Nyall wrote:
> > I was just digging in to the new build errors for the OSX Travis builds,
> > and was led to this discussion:
> >
> > https://github.com/Homebrew/homebrew-core/issues/4365
> >
> > My understanding is that this is game over for the Qt4 homebrew builds.
> > Am I mistaken here?
> >
> > If so - is it time to "call it" and kill Qt4 support in master? I was
> > hoping to get all the unit tests passing under the Travis Qt5 builds
> > first but am now wondering if that's just needlessly prolonging things.
> > Some of the current blacklist could be much easier to address if we
> > don't need to care about backward compatibility.
>
> What's the connection between having Qt4 support in the code and
> shipping Qt5 builds on Mac?

I explained that badly - I was thinking mostly about what the fastest
way to get some supported osx version back up and running again is. If
i'm understanding the implications of that homebrew issue correctly,
there's now no way of building master (or even 2.16) on osx.

Which lead in a roundabout way to thinking about the quickest way to
resolve the remaining qt5 test failures and how to avoid spending
*any* more wasted minutes on qt4 compatibility ;)

Nyall