[Qgis-developer] WMTS 1.0 - first implementers

Martin Dobias wonder.sk at gmail.com
Tue Sep 20 00:12:02 PDT 2016

On Tue, Sep 20, 2016 at 2:38 PM, Richard Duivenvoorde
<rdmailings at duif.net> wrote:
> On 2016-09-20 06:30, Martin Dobias wrote:
>
>> Note: the work I have done and the call that started this thread are
>> not related in any way...
>

> Ah, ok.
>
> I had a good look now: nice! Very smooth!
>
> So in the browser you can add a xyz layer like:
> http://c.tile.openstreetmap.org/{z}/{x}/{y}.png

Right!

> But isn't there a way to do that via 'add Layer' menu or via the 'add
> WMS/WMTS' button? Do I miss something ( or is it "future work" as they call
> it in science ;-) )

Indeed - something for others to pick up hopefully :-)

> (Just asking because I think we already have several ways to add a layer
> (buttons, menu's, dragdrop, browser), and if some of those ways have other
> options then the others, I think from a user standpoint this is not very
> friendly?)
>
> The add WM(T)S dialog's could get some ui-love anyway I think :-)

Yeah the WM(T)S dialog could get a lot of love... It is quite
complicated and the user experience is not great.

I am not sure XYZ layers should be even handled within WM(T)S dialog -
there is nothing like GetCapabilities, layer/style/crs selection etc.

XYZ layers would still deserve some kind of configuration GUI - apart
from URL, users should be able to set min/max zoom levels. The current
solution was just a quick way to make XYZ layers available to users...

Cheers
Martin