[Qgis-developer] Are we doing a 2.18 release

Matthias Kuhn matthias at opengis.ch
Wed Sep 21 05:21:22 PDT 2016

Hi Michaël,

At the moment 2.14 is LTR (you probably know ;) ) and I would dissuade
from declaring another one. Here is the reason:

At least I would strongly suggest we deal with 2.18 as the latest
release in the 2.x series. But we don't know for sure, suddenly a 2.20
might pop up for whatever reason (fingers crossed there's none!)

We will continue to backport fixes to the current latest 2.x branch
(2.16 now, 2.18 soon), so at any point in time when we spot 3.0 arrival
we can declare the latest release (again, hopefully 2.18 :) ) at that
time to be LTR.

2.14 is still young. LTR was introduced for stability and infrequent
updates.

Still, this has also been discussed at a recent meeting with some people
from the Swiss User Group. Just so you know you are not alone.
I actually welcome it when (organisation) users discuss these kind of
things because LTR was introduced for them by the project. Turning this
thing around and having organisations as a solid base for the LTR (and
offer targetted funding for this) gives the LTR much more sustainability
and credibility.
I would greatly appreciate a group of (non-developer) organisation
representatives strengthening the LTR idea!

Best
Matthias