[Qgis-developer] [QGIS Server] Maintain it and create a team

Paolo Cavallini cavallini at faunalia.it
Fri Sep 23 06:30:21 PDT 2016

Hi all,

Il 23/09/2016 15:04, Marco Hugentobler ha scritto:

> Well, taking the constructive parts out of that discussion, I think it
> makes sense to take the opportunity to rewrite the server part
> completely (it will be a while until there are the same number of
> features as now )

Does anybody have a rough idea of how much time would this involve?

> Also, the code sould be moved it to a separate repo / project. The QGIS
> codebase is quite bloated now and move code out of if will be good. QGIS
> server is like a third party application using the core API.

This could also help solving a current issue: now using on a server
projects done with a different version of QGIS desktop is always a risk,
thus forcing people to keep older versions on the desktop, or do
relatively risky upgrades on the server. It  would be good to decouple
this using standard API and a predictable behaviour.
I also underline, however, the importance of releasing a fully
functional server in sync with QGIS 3.
All the best.
--
Paolo Cavallini - www.faunalia.eu