[Qgis-developer] [QGIS Server] Maintain it and create a team

Nikolai Bezdna mofoyoda at gmail.com
Fri Sep 23 08:11:28 PDT 2016

Hi QGIS Server devs,

I’m using QGIS server and find it quite convenient, since I can author map projects with powerful QGIS gui and get them published as OGC services right on-the-fly. I don’t think any other FOSS OGC servers out there can boast the same functionality. I’m not a QGIS Server committer, but I’d be happy to help testing new versions and providing feedback - like testing master builds and reporting bugs, regressions, etc.

One thought about the future improvements: most webmaps and GIS software utilise vector tiles now and Mapbox Vector Tiles (MVT), recently adopted by ESRI, really became a de-facto standard. But unfortunately QGIS Server lacks implementation of vector tile creation and serving.
While QGIS has bleeding-edge desktop functionality, QGIS Server sadly stays behind progress here. IMHO adopting vector tiles (reading and most importantly creation) should be one of top priorities for future versions.
I know QGIS depends on GDAL mostly in terms of I/O, so it really should be solved on both GDAL and QGIS levels. But as far as I know GDAL dev community doesn’t have any particular plans to implement MVT driver (or, perhaps, they do?:).
Some work is going on the postgis side (https://gist.github.com/bjornharrtell/7f4b6c030d4faa63f99b1ceb6f3edcef <https://gist.github.com/bjornharrtell/7f4b6c030d4faa63f99b1ceb6f3edcef>).

Cheers,
Nick Lebedev