[Qgis-developer] [QGIS Server] Maintain it and create a team

Tudor Barascu tudorbarascu at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 23 22:19:42 PDT 2016

Hi René,
Thank to everyone participating in this.
>* Who is interested in participating in  QGIS Server (code, ideas,
review, tests) ?
I am also interested in helping out with the effort.
All the best,
Tudor

    On Friday, September 23, 2016 3:45 PM, René-Luc Dhont <rldhont at gmail.com> wrote:

 Hi devs,

The Qt4 and Python 2.7 is going away from QGIS master, following this PR:
Require python 3 and qt5 https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/pull/3510

But a part of the project directly suffered of this: QGIS Server. As
explain on the Pull Request 'Require python 3 and qt5', all the QGIS
Server tests has been disabled. This means that QGIS Server is not
maintained with automatic tests for QGIS 3.

So Mathias Khun has opened an issue about QGIS 3 API to remove QGIS
Server from QGIS master.
https://github.com/qgis/qgis3.0_api/issues/63
The discussion is opened but I don't know if all the developpers are
aware of this.

For our team, 3Liz (Michaël, David and I), the QGIS Server is a big part
of the QGIS project and it will really be a pitty if it disappears. A
part of the QGIS users are interesting in it because they can published
web services directly from their work. So QGIS Server is a reason for
them to use QGIS. Many users like the part of using QGIS desktop to
configure easily many options for publication, and use WMS, WFS, WCS and
event WPS with different clients (one of them is Lizmap).
We take much time (and about half of it without funds) to keep this
feature alive and up to date with QGIS improvements, and are willing to
continue down this path (we believe in it and have many good feedbacks
from users)

We would like to raise interest around QGIS Server, and report here that
this part of QGIS is really used in production by companies and research
centers, and maintained by some devs, and not just a QGIS side project
"for fun".

We just discussed with Alessandro Pasotti and we would like to create a
team to maintain and discuss about the evolution of QGIS Server. We
would like to use this opportunity to improve QGIS Server and make it
more maintainable and granular.

Some questions to gather reactions :
* Who is interested in maintaining QGIS Server ?
* Who is interested in participating in  QGIS Server (code, ideas,
review, tests) ?
* Please share any ideas to enhance (refactor) QGIS Server

Regards,
René-Luc D'Hont