[Qgis-developer] QGIS Server 3.0 roadmap

Alessandro Pasotti apasotti at gmail.com
Sun Sep 25 01:06:14 PDT 2016

Hi,

I'm glad that Matthias's semi-serious threats to remove the server from
source tree and Nyall's complaints have shaken the souls of the server
people!

I insist that the server remains a first class citizen and a full featured
tool within the QGIS project, but I understand that it should not be a
brake for the core refactoring ,slowing down the amazing development that
QGIS dev team is doing on the core and gui libraries.

 I've just started a small WIP contribution aimed to solve a first issue (
https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/pull/3528).

I wonder what would be the better way to coordinate the efforts, gain in
efficience and avoid duplication.

This is a possible roadmap (suggestions welcome!):

- start a QEP for the new server architecture (C++ plugins for the core
services etc.) (@rldhont, can you take care of this?)
- a list of prioritized issues (on the qgis hub?, on github? no idea here)
( @nyall, @mkuhn: you know the new and old API very well,  if you could
start creating a list of must-have, should-have, nice-to-have issues it
would be very helpful)
- create a formal (but completely open) dedicated team of developers and
assign issues
- possibly, meet periodically to coordinate the development

Am I dreaming?

--
Alessandro Pasotti
w3:   www.itopen.it