[Qgis-developer] [QGIS Server] Maintain it and create a team

Neumann, Andreas a.neumann at carto.net
Mon Sep 26 05:37:30 PDT 2016

Hi all,

So I assume the discussion is not about kicking QGIS server out of the
project, but about finding a way to improve the situation and make QGIS
server more reliable and renovate the code base - right?

I have to say it comes a bit as a surprise to me that suddenly QGIS
server is not regarded as a core component of QGIS anymore.

I just returned from the German QGIS user meeting where I found out that
a) there are a lot more QGIS server users out there that we are aware of
and b) that interest in QGIS server is growing a lot. Also, there are
several gov. organizations and private companies out there that rely an
QGIS server as core part of their Web-GIS or who are just about to roll
out QGIS server as part of their GDI infrastructures. This includes
several provinces and larger cities.

So, regardless on how the QGIS server code base will be organized in the
future - please make sure that the core values of QGIS server are kept:

a) configuration from QGIS desktop, using the .qgs project files

b) Symbology/labeling is IDENTICAL to rendering in Desktop

c) the extensions, such as GetProjectSettings, GetPrint, enhanced
GetFeatureInfo, etc. remain in place

d) it continues to also support WMS/WFS/WCS all from the same project

-----------------------

I understand that there are several deficiencies in the QGIS server
source code. But rather than kicking out QGIS server, they should be
addressed. If there is enough advance time, we could probably also
organize funding.

Thanks,

Andreas

On 2016-09-26 12:07, G. Allegri wrote:

> Gis3W is also highly interested in partecipating, since we employ QGIS Server in critical components of our business .
> It's ok for us to keep QGIS Server out of the main repo. This would give also the opportunity to manage a different release cycle.
>
> The QGIS 3 refactoring is a great opportunity to review and improve QGIS Server.
> I think there will be a (long) list of wished features and improvements to discuss, lnot only tiling support (which is a missing feature indeed!).
>
> giovanni

>> Hi René-Luc
>>
>>> * Who is interested in participating in  QGIS Server (code, ideas,
>>> review, tests) ?
>>
>> count me in for tests.
>>
>> cheers
>>
>> -- G --