[Qgis-developer] [QGIS Server] Maintain it and create a team

Régis Haubourg regis.haubourg at gmail.com
Mon Sep 26 05:49:20 PDT 2016

Hi all,

Le lundi 26 septembre 2016 à 14:37 +0200, Neumann, Andreas a écrit :
> Hi all,
> So I assume the discussion is not about kicking QGIS server out of the project, but about finding a way to improve the
> situation and make QGIS server more reliable and renovate the code base - right?
> I have to say it comes a bit as a surprise to me that suddenly QGIS server is not regarded as a core component of QGIS
> anymore.
> I just returned from the German QGIS user meeting where I found out that a) there are a lot more QGIS server users out
> there that we are aware of and b) that interest in QGIS server is growing a lot. Also, there are several gov. organizations
> and private companies out there that rely an QGIS server as core part of their Web-GIS or who are just about to roll out
> QGIS server as part of their GDI infrastructures. This includes several provinces and larger cities.
> So, regardless on how the QGIS server code base will be organized in the future - please make sure that the core values of
> QGIS server are kept:
> a) configuration from QGIS desktop, using the .qgs project files
> b) Symbology/labeling is IDENTICAL to rendering in Desktop
> c) the extensions, such as GetProjectSettings, GetPrint, enhanced GetFeatureInfo, etc. remain in place
> d) it continues to also support WMS/WFS/WCS all from the same project
> -----------------------
> I understand that there are several deficiencies in the QGIS server source code. But rather than kicking out QGIS server,
> they should be addressed. If there is enough advance time, we could probably also organize funding.
> Thanks,
> Andreas

I agree totally with Andreas. I understand that QGIS server needs a deep refactoring and that we need to keep all that makes
it the winning solution other servers can't bring being separate from the desktop application, without breaking webclients
one hand, or without blocking QGIS desktop API refactoring on the other hand.

Count on me for participating in helping testing, discuss specification and coordinate work if needed.
Cheers
Régis

regis.haubourg at oslandia.com