[Qgis-developer] [QGIS Server] Maintain it and create a team

Jürgen E. Fischer jef at norbit.de
Mon Sep 26 07:44:55 PDT 2016

Hi Andreas,

On Mon, 26. Sep 2016 at 14:37:30 +0200, Neumann, Andreas wrote:
> I have to say it comes a bit as a surprise to me that suddenly QGIS
> server is not regarded as a core component of QGIS anymore.

Me too.  To me it's also not so clear why it should be separated more from
core.  I guess it would be better to make core more suitable for use with the
server.  So all the special things it now does to manage multiple projects and
caching of layers across projects should be already covered there and don't
have to be reinvented in the server in a different way.

I also don't clearly see how moving it to a separate repository with a separate
release schedule will make things easier.   My expectation would be that it
then would need to support multiple versions of core.  And keeping it in sync
with the cores would need extra effort by the server team, that is now covered
with the rest of the following changes to gui, app etc. by whoever does change
core.

Jürgen

Software Engineer           D-26506 Norden             http://www.norbit.de
QGIS release manager (PSC)  Germany                    IRC: jef on FreeNode