[Qgis-developer] Testing plugins against QGIS3 with Travis

Matthias Kuhn matthias at opengis.ch
Tue Sep 27 04:04:34 PDT 2016

On 09/27/2016 12:46 PM, Sandro Santilli wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 27, 2016 at 12:23:39PM +0200, Matthias Kuhn wrote:

>>> Do Travis agent not cache downloaded docker images ?
>>
>> The strategy which we use for QGIS tests (and plugin tests) and some
>> other plugins which I've been involved with do not depend on Docker but
>> instead on a precise or trusty system where additional dependencies can
>> be installed from repositories (which are currently missing for almost?
>> all distributions).
>
> Yes, but Alessandro was suggesting a user to use a docker-based travis
> to test plugins, if I'm not mistaken.

Ah yes, correct

> It could actually also be a good idea to use docker for QGIS, as it
> would possibly reduce testing time (a qgis-build-test docker could be
> provided with all pre-built dependencies).

It shouldn't make a big difference. Installing deps from a (cached) apt
repository or setting up a (cached) docker instance should be comparable
from what I can see?

Most of the time is spent on building QGIS where a major improvement
could be achieved by having a persistent ccache directory. This has cut
down build time from ~50 minutes to 10-20 minutes (unless some very low
level files change).

Matthias