[Qgis-developer] QGIS Server 3.0 roadmap

Richard Duivenvoorde rdmailings at duif.net
Wed Sep 28 08:55:14 PDT 2016

On 28-09-16 15:12, René-Luc Dhont wrote:
> Hi Nyall,
>
> I like your proposition on QGIS Project and Layer Registry. Will you
> write a QEP about it ? Do you wait the grant vote ?
>
> About the server part, we used QgsMapLayerRegistry because some widgets
> rely on map layer ids and not map layer pointers. We create our own
> Project parser because the QgsProject load segfault if the
> QgsApplication is instanciate without interface (GUIenabled to false).
> And QgsProject is too close to QGIS gui.

May I point (as part of 3.0 changes, second try ;-) ) to:

https://hub.qgis.org/issues/13494#note-19

Where Martin Dobias says:

"In general, the QgsApplication API is extremely confusing - and I hope
we can fix it for QGIS 3.0. It derives from QApplication (IMHO bad
idea), it also handles init/exit and paths. The init/exit handling
should be ideally completely automatic with PyQGIS, hopefully avoiding
different possible ways how people init PyQGIS in the future."

I hit this also, so it would be nice to get this fixed for 3.0, as both
pyqgis would benefit from it and apparently QGIS server :-)

Regards,

Richard Duivenvoorde