[Qgis-developer] GSoC Applicant - Improve Vector Geoprocessing Tools for QGIS

Mitchell Luhm luhmx009 at umn.edu
Sat Apr 1 18:04:26 PDT 2017

Hello everyone,

I am reaching the end of my second year of university studying Computer
Science and GIS. Over the last few months, I have been switching over from
ArcGIS software to QGIS for relevant class work and projects. I have been
learning about algorithms a lot over the last few months (analyzing run
time, modifying algorithms for specific purposes, improving run time,
techniques/strategies like dynamic programming) and I am looking to
applying some of this knowledge to more practical purposes by working on
software that other people and myself use.

My actual proposal:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1FVkEMk5HCy7jBCd4lgYM2pG7IjmNvml26dEkE-eyI9A/edit?usp=sharing

I would appreciate any feedback if anyone has time.

Also, as someone new around the QGIS and open source community I have some
questions.
1) For a project like the one I am proposing, do QGIS developers usually
work/communicate together on the same particular projects or is it more
individual based?
2) Are there any recommended resources for learning specific information
about working on GIS-related software?

Thanks,

Mitchell Luhm