[Qgis-developer] Are there plans to create a unique "Add layer" tool?

Nyall Dawson nyall.dawson at gmail.com
Tue Apr 4 00:53:28 PDT 2017

On 4 April 2017 at 17:46, Stéphane Henriod <stephanebek at gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks a lot Anita for the info!
>
> I re-located the issue: http://hub.qgis.org/issues/9451
>
> Not sure though if this will make it alive again. Let's see if this seems to
> be a priority for enough users...

I'd say a good plan to move this forward would be to:

1. conduct a thorough survey of what's available via the individual
add vector layer dialogs vs what's currently available in the browser
2. rank each of the missing settings vs whether or not they are still required
3. file issues for these missing settings
4. ...and get these fixed/implemented

a. While this is underway I'd also suggest the UX team could test and
evaluate Anita's plugin to identify whether the browser alone is a
sufficient replacement or whether some tweaks would be required to
make it a suitable replacement without any loss of "user friendliness"

1,2,3 and (a) don't require any development experience, so would be a
great project for any interested user to undertake. I suspect 4
wouldn't be much work for a developer either after all this groundwork
is done.

Nyall