[Qgis-developer] Are there plans to create a unique "Add layer" tool?

Alexandre Neto senhor.neto at gmail.com
Wed Apr 12 07:20:15 PDT 2017

Hi Stéphane,

I believe it's a great starting point, very complete (I would not
remember/consider some types of data).

We still need to fill the second page and discuss the possible UI/UX
implementation. Then, we will need some developers (I'm not a developer) to
consider the requests and filter what would be hard or impossible to tackle.

Our best chance to have this implemented is by doing baby steps. I would
not consider more data format/providers than the ones we have in the manage
layers toolbar in this first phase.

Thanks!

Stéphane Henriod <stephanebek at gmail.com> escreveu no dia terça, 11/04/2017
às 12:57:

> [...]
>
> Also, I am not sure how to reach out to the UX team. Through a separate
> mailing list? Or is it sufficient to have it here
> https://github.com/qgis/qgis3_UIX_discussion/issues/1 ?
>
> Cheer
>
> Stéphane
>

> Le mardi 4 avril 2017, Stéphane Henriod <stephanebek at gmail.com> a écrit :
>
> Thanks Nyall!
>
> Here I just created a Gdoc to collect info mentioned in your points 1-4 +
> a:
>

> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1aMX9jOfl10q8oETRzOHSHnRpHCc7UJ1dDnCCq3VyTAY/edit?usp=sharing
>
> All interested, feel free to contribute, I might not have the full overview
>
> Thanks and cheers
>
> Stéphane
>

> “When you travel, remember that a foreign country is not designed to make
> you comfortable. It is designed to make its own people comfortable." --
> Clifton Fadiman

> On 4 April 2017 at 17:46, Stéphane Henriod <stephanebek at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Thanks a lot Anita for the info!
> >
> > I re-located the issue: http://hub.qgis.org/issues/9451
> >
> > Not sure though if this will make it alive again. Let's see if this
> seems to
> > be a priority for enough users...
> >

> I'd say a good plan to move this forward would be to:
>
> 1. conduct a thorough survey of what's available via the individual
> add vector layer dialogs vs what's currently available in the browser
> 2. rank each of the missing settings vs whether or not they are still
> required
> 3. file issues for these missing settings
> 4. ...and get these fixed/implemented
>
> a. While this is underway I'd also suggest the UX team could test and
> evaluate Anita's plugin to identify whether the browser alone is a
> sufficient replacement or whether some tweaks would be required to
> make it a suitable replacement without any loss of "user friendliness"
>
> 1,2,3 and (a) don't require any development experience, so would be a
> great project for any interested user to undertake. I suspect 4
> wouldn't be much work for a developer either after all this groundwork
> is done.
>
> Nyall
>

> --
>
> “When you travel, remember that a foreign country is not designed to make
> you comfortable. It is designed to make its own people comfortable." --
> Clifton Fadiman

> “When you travel, remember that a foreign country is not designed to make
> you comfortable. It is designed to make its own people comfortable." --
> Clifton Fadiman

> Alexandre Neto
> @AlexNetoGeo
> http://sigsemgrilhetas.wordpress.com
> http://gisunchained.wordpress.com
>

> --
>
> “When you travel, remember that a foreign country is not designed to make
> you comfortable. It is designed to make its own people comfortable." --

Alexandre Neto