[Qgis-developer] QGIS API Distance, Azimuth/Bearing - API Documentation

C Hamilton adenaculture at gmail.com
Thu Apr 13 08:56:37 PDT 2017

Thanks for answering. Geographiclib has a good summary of the benefits over
vincinty.

https://geographiclib.sourceforge.io/html/python/geodesics.html

The algorithms implemented by this package are given in Karney (2013) and
are based on Bessel (1825) and Helmert (1880); the algorithm for areas is
based on Danielsen (1989). These improve on the work of Vincenty (1975) in
the following respects:

   - The results are accurate to round-off for terrestrial ellipsoids (the
   error in the distance is less then 15 nanometers, compared to 0.1 mm for
   Vincenty).
   - The solution of the inverse problem is always found. (Vincenty’s
   method fails to converge for nearly antipodal points.)
   - The routines calculate differential and integral properties of a
   geodesic. This allows, for example, the area of a geodesic polygon to be
   computed.

Here are my questions.

1. Sorry for my lack of knowledge here. I have gotten into the plugin
development and I have been thinking that I could possibly contribute to
the actual QGIS code, but I am not sure what you want done when you say to
do a "pull request on the topic".

2. geographiclib already has done the work for the more accurate geodesic
algorithms. They use the MIT/X11 license. Is that compatible with the QGIS
GNU2 license? It would certainly be easiest to use that code rather than
trying to reinvent it.

3. What is the best way to learn the steps necessary to contribute to the
core QGIS project?

Thanks!