[QGIS-Developer] Qt 5.10 for QGIS devs - the short story

Martin Dobias wonder.sk at gmail.com
Fri Dec 8 00:47:13 PST 2017

Hi

On Fri, Dec 8, 2017 at 3:05 AM, Nyall Dawson <nyall.dawson at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all!
>
> Can't be bothered reading the full changelog of Qt 5.10 which was
> released today??! No problem!! Here's the 2 second rundown on changes
> which are relevant to us:
>
> [...]
>
> - QtQuick/QML changes: meh. I'll let Matthias get excited about those.
> I'm just glad that for once there's a Qt release that includes changes
> outside of these modules...

It is great to see there is constantly so much work going into Qt
Quick - hopefully at some point soon we will be able to use it for
QGIS desktop as well where it is appropriate - e.g. welcome page or
plugin manager.

> - Qt3D changes: looks like some good stuff here, now that it's of use to us!

Oh yeah, plenty of new stuff and they are also moving the focus on
making the framework even faster and more robust! For the time being
even 5.9 brought plenty of goodies that we can try to integrate:
https://blog.qt.io/blog/2017/05/24/qt3d/

Another exciting thing on the list of 5.10 features is the technical
preview of "Qt WebGL Streaming Plugin" - a way to stream applications
to browsers over network - QGIS in the cloud!

Cheers
Martin