[QGIS-Developer] QGIS 3D: navigation questions

Nyall Dawson nyall.dawson at gmail.com
Wed Dec 13 14:08:52 PST 2017

On 14 December 2017 at 00:25, Andreas Neumann <a.neumann at carto.net> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I think I heard several people stating that the navigation in QGIS 3D is too
> fast. Nyall has a PR to slow down navigation when holding the Ctrl-key -
> which unfortunately hadn't been merged to master yet.

I'll update based on Martin's comments, just gotta find some time...

> To me the question is: when the majority of users think that navigation is
> too fast, shouldn't the default already be slower?

I think so too :)

> Other navigation issues I have:
>
> * I did not find a way to lower or raise the altitude of the "camera" while
> staying it the same positions and not changing all the viewing angles (like
> taking the helicopter up and down at the same position). Is there a hidden
> shortcut for that?

Not that I can find, but we need this too. Maybe page up/page down could work?

I also think we need a way to modify the camera rotation without
altering its position. See https://issues.qgis.org/issues/17653

> Is there any documentation somewhere about how the navigation should work? I
> read something about support for keyboard (arrow keys) - but if I use the
> arrow keys, only the main 2D canvas is panned, not the 3D view. Also the
> Shift key, which should be used according to
> https://www.lutraconsulting.co.uk/blog/2017/10/16/buildings-in-qgis3d/ has
> no effect on my machine - maybe another KDE/Plasma issue?

I believe this is a bug on all platforms when the canvas is docked.
Try undocking it.

Nyall