[QGIS-Developer] QGIS 3D: looking below the terrain model

Andreas Neumann a.neumann at carto.net
Fri Dec 15 03:36:42 PST 2017

> I would rather spend QGIS.ORG money on important bugfixing for QGIS 3.
> QGIS Grant applications should be directed to the work nobody wants to
> fund initially, or for proof-of-concept or kickstart of new features.
>
> I have no doubt we will find people and organizations willing to fund
> features for 3D improvement.

Perhaps - or maybe not. 3D is the kind of thing that many think is cool,
but they wouldn't spend money on it, because it isn't helping their
business case. As an example, the crowd funding from Lutra on 3D for
Crayfish go close to zero support from QGIS users up to now. See
https://www.lutraconsulting.co.uk/crowdfunding/qgis-crayfish-3/

It is not a coincidence that it took so long to get 3D started in QGIS.
Would it be a priority to the QGIS funders, then it would have started,
much, much earlier ... no one, except the QGIS grants money (and Martins
additional spare time) invested a cent so far in QGIS 3D.

But it is anyway up to the voting members to decide what grants will be
supported. You are one of them I think ;-)

Andreas