[QGIS-Developer] Support to loading GIS projects from an extended OWC geopackage in the QGIS core

Régis Haubourg regis.haubourg at gmail.com
Mon Dec 18 03:23:06 PST 2017

Thanks for all your pointers.

Discussing with Paul Blottiere and Hugo Mercier, we can give some global
aswers:

- We didn't think about GPKG, because in the end there was no need to
spatial data. Please remember that more than 6 months ago, GPKG wasn't as
promoted and tested than now.

- Changing the OGR SQLITE provider to GOKG OGR provider shouldn't be too
much work. The hardest part was synchronizing ancillary data with source
layer.

- Spatialite provider is absolutely not a requirement. We tried to use it
and it appeared too messy concerning featureId's and Primary keys too. Init
creation option were not exposed in API to be able to quickly create a
small DB. More largely on spatialite provider, and seeing Luigi's pointer
to current Spatialite Pull Request, we really think we should only use OGR
and mutualize all efforts there to have a unique and robust provider.