[QGIS-Developer] QGIS's python as a virtualenv

Olivier Dalang olivier.dalang at gmail.com
Fri Dec 22 02:07:06 PST 2017

Hi !

I always have trouble when I need to use QGIS/OSGeo's python environment
from outside of QGIS (e.g. setting up an IDE, running some custom scripts
that need access to the same libraries than QGIS, etc...). Suggested
solutions are to create some batch file, but I never really manage to make
this work in a reasonable amount of time.

This contrasts very much with my experience with virtualenv (in non QGIS
related python work), where switching from one python environment to
another is extremely straightforward (source path_to_venv/bin/activate on
linux or path_to_venv\Scripts\activate.bat on windows). With those
commands, everything works : python, pip, all libraries, etc... I think
most python IDEs support virtualenvs.

I'm not sure if this is possible or not, but would it be possible to have
QGIS/OSGeo's python environment configured as a virtual environment ?

Thanks !

Olivier