[QGIS-Developer] Removing QgsProject.instance() from Python bindings?

Nyall Dawson nyall.dawson at gmail.com
Fri Dec 22 20:40:09 PST 2017

Hi all,

Just wondering... before 3.0 launch, should we remove
QgsProject.instance() from the Python bindings, in favour of something
like iface.activeProject()?

Sometime in the future (4.0?) we'll end up killing
QgsProject.instance(), but in the meantime is it a good move to push
people away from relying on this method?

I'd say yes, given that the 2.x -> 3.0 api break is so huge anyway and
will generally result in substantial plugin rewriting (vs just
modifying a few methods), maybe we're better off to get PyQGIS
developers to deal with this now and factor it into their new
designs?*

Nyall

* based on the belief that 3.x -> 4.0 will be a gentler transition!!