[Qgis-developer] OTB and LiDAR tools as separate plugins

Martin Isenburg martin.isenburg at gmail.com
Wed Feb 1 17:04:32 PST 2017

Hello,

One thing to keep in mind is that not all the LIDAR tools are open sources,
> 2/3 of the LAStools aren't and slightly distort the output after certain
> point limits are exceeded. My opinion is that QGIS shouldn't ship or assist
> the distribution of closed binaries.

Not sure who suggested the notion that LAStools binaries will be shipped
with QGIS or that there maybe will be an auto-download of sorts ... there
will not. The LAStools package can be used as a toolbox in ArcGIS, IMAGINE,
FME, and QGIS or as a stand alone software. I see more and more LiDAR
practitioners (those that I am teaching) doing their GIS with the Q instead
of Argh and the QGIS toolboxes the most up-to-date toolboxes. If a user
wants to use LAStools (whether via QGIS or not) the tools will only be
available via my site and not be bundled.

Regards from the Philippines,

Martin