[Qgis-developer] Processing algs & plugins... should we actively pull into master?

Paolo Cavallini cavallini at faunalia.it
Mon Feb 6 00:46:26 PST 2017

Il 06/02/2017 00:55, Nyall Dawson ha scritto:

> What I'm wondering now is whether we should be merging functionality
> like this into master.

+1, thanks for raising this.

> - might be a good spring-board for easing plugin developers into
> working with the master repo. There's a chance they'll find confidence
> in this to make changes elsewhere in the code.

exactly, I'm always trying to convince plugin developers to jump in the
bandwagon, this move would be a strong argument for it.

> fixes/changes, and need to wait for next QGIS release for the changes
> to be distributed

a general issue with Processing, and other core plugins BTW.
better discuss about this in general terms.

> - we risk "stepping on plugin developer's toes". It's possible a
> plugin developer might not like seeing the role their plugin once
> played "taken over" by master. (On the other hand, they may be proud
> to see their work accepted into the default install!)

this is a possibility; in my experience however it can be avoided by
proper communication with plugin authors. for what I have seen, plugin
authors are pleased by the interest we have in their work, so I think
we'll encounter no major problems here. I can keep on taking the
responsibility of communicating to plugin authors if nobody wants to
step in.

> So what do we think? Good move? Bad move?

good by all means.
All the best.

--
Paolo Cavallini - www.faunalia.eu